3.06.2011

Origin of Cheap Date

Lesley and I decided to write this blog about our love of food, both in Portland restaurants and cooking at home. We met a little over six months ago at the Orenco Station Farmers Market. I was performing with my band and she was there shopping for fresh produce. Our eyes met and we've been happily eating our way across Portland ever since. 

So why cheap date? A few weeks ago we were having happy hour at one of our new hangouts, Crush on SE Morrison and the drink of the day was called the Cheap Date, bourbon and gingerale, which is my default cocktail order. I thought, finally I found a more elegant way to order this drink without having to say "Bourbon and Gingerale". Then the following week while at Rock Bottom Brewery I ordered a "cheap date" the waitress paused for second after I said it, but then nodded OK like she knew what I meant. When the order arrived at our table, I was given a small bottle of champagne and a flute. After I recoved from my fit of laughter, I called over the waitress. She in fact had no idea what kind of drink a cheap date is, just had mistaken what I said with the noise in the room. So one might think that this misfire would discourage me from trying to order it again...on the contrary, I decided that it would now become a mission, to try it at every place we dine/drink, as sort of a social experiment.

Stay tuned, for more posts about our adventures in restaurants, cooking and cheap dates!

- Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment